Co-Create Your Future with Us
At SkyWater, we apply the same philosophy we use to co-create new products with customers to help co-create our employees’ careers. Together we fuel innovation while growing professionally and producing intelligent solutions. We also seek to create a better world through community involvement, and cultivate an environment of continuous learning. Recurring events such as Lunch with Leaders, video Q&A series, and employee recognition foster a culture of open communication. If you’re searching for an exciting culture where you can grow, while helping to pioneer a dynamic workplace, consider joining SkyWater!
People have misconceptions about tech companies - that you already need to have specific skills. When I started, I had no idea what a wafer was, and I worked my way up with internal and external training to become a supervisor. With two small babies, the compressed work week allows me to spend time with family and have time for hobbies.
As an engineer, the favorite part of my job is that I'm helping build the next generation of technology, like 5G applications and next-gen AI. We are developing things that very few companies in the world are doing - and I feel like I'm contributing to the future. I like knowing that I am a part of creating exciting new technologies. It feels like we're making magic!
Maintenance Engineering Manager
At SkyWater, we work across many realms of semiconductor manufacturing. In the maintenance department, we have our fingers in just about everything -- so it's much more exciting than just wrenching all of the time. You can work your way up into engineering or operations management. We really offer a lot of opportunities and paths for our technicians - you just have to go after it.
SkyWater sees training as an investment, essential for keeping up. I have excellent mentors and everyone is accessible. They really want to ensure each person succeeds. I've worked here for 14 years — starting out in production, moving up to a lead, then a training coordinator, and now I am a production supervisor. They work with you on personal development. It's a great place for creating a career!
I graduated from the U of M with a degree in Material Sciences and Engineering. I spent a few years doing failure analysis for the aerospace industry, a few years as an implant engineer, and now I'm the section manager. Every day is different! I like coming up with scenarios and deconstructing big problems into easily solvable small problems. I'm given a lot of support and there are a lot of opportunities to choose your path at SkyWater.
Process Engineering Manager
I worked in the United States Nuclear Navy, in submarines, for 10 years. That's where I got the experience level, "It has to work." You're out in the ocean and you have what you have. We are a very diverse group and our culture wall says it all. Working with carbon nanotubes allows you to think of things in the molecular level and quantum level. It's very exciting, leading edge technology that's helping our customers.
At SkyWater, we make computer chips. Being a younger company, you get to become involved in a lot more of the company than with a larger corporate place. It's especially fun at SkyWater to be a part of the cutting edge - like working on projects with DARPA that I wouldn't have an opportunity to work on anywhere else in the world as a young engineer.
Working at SkyWater is unique because it's the perfect size company where people know one another. Co-workers are friendly and there is also accountability. As a new college grad, I take care of our measurement equipment, such as ellipsometers, 4-point probes and thermal wave implant monitoring systems. I keep track of tool health, run experiments, and make sure they're ready for production - which is responsibility you won't get at a larger company.
Metrology Process Engineer
While pursuing my undergrad in Chemistry, I conducted three years of research focused on the semiconductor industry. I then got my PhD from the U of M in Materials Chemistry with a focus on nano technology. I learned how the materials behave and how to grow and characterize nano materials. The best part is I have lunch with my family every day as I live in Bloomington! I'm very happy with the work/life balance we've created.
Process Development Engineer
I've worked for SkyWater for 19 years because I love the compressed work hours that are great for my kids. I love figuring things out and was recently named the MVP award winner, which is a $1,000 net bonus! A lot of my friends work here, as well as my Dad, because you can craft your individual career.
As a child, I was always very curious and took things apart like toasters and electronics to figure out how they work. Later, I joined the Navy as an electronics technician -- performing preventative maintenance, repairing and trouble shooting antennas, satellites and other communications equipment. This experience prepared me for my role at SkyWater where new problems requiring new thinking happen every day.
Equipment Maintenance Tech
SkyWater is like a young startup company but with a depth of experience in what they build. Initially, I worked in the Design Enablement group, but where they really needed my time was in the physical building out of libraries and other areas of growth -- which invigorates me. It's exciting as I move from Engineering into Sales & Marketing. I find myself learning, researching, and having the kind of energy that comes when you're creating new things.
Design Enablement Engineer
I graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology with a degree in Chemical Engineering and began working with semiconductors in a co-op. My favorite part is investigating something we've never seen before. You feel like a detective putting together clues and brainstorming with engineers and operators. Give Minnesota a try! There's a beautiful hiking path behind SkyWater where I walk over lunch and we have a lot of intelligent, progressive women here.
Technicians are the heart of our fab and clean room operations and work in specialized roles which are critical to technology development and wafer production for our customers.
Technician Roles at SkyWater:
Our engineering teams manage critical equipment and facility processes, enable customer microelectronics designs and also drive process R&D which is the foundation of our Innovation Engineering Services.
Engineering Roles at SkyWater:
- Automation Engineers
- CAD Engineers (Design Enablement)
- EH&S Engineers
- Equipment Engineers
- Facilities Engineers
- Industrial Engineers
- IT Engineers
- Process Development Engineers
- Process Engineers
- Program Engineers
- Quality Engineers
- Yield Engineers
Administrative and Operations
While technology development and wafer production is our core business, we’re looking for innovators with diverse backgrounds in all parts of our organization to help co-create advanced solutions for our customers.
Administrative and Operational Support Roles at SkyWater:
- Accounting & Finance
- Customer Engagement
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
SkyWater recognizes the importance of delivering a great work environment, great teams and comprehensive employee benefits program that is responsive to the needs of each and every employee. Our benefits program was developed in order to provide choices to support the unique needs of you and your dependents.
- Medical Coverage: Choice of two health plans including Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) or High Deductible Health Plan with Health Savings Account (HSA), offering an extensive network of available physicians. Employees are eligible for healthcare benefits on their date of hire.
- Dental: Choice of two dental plans (one with orthodontic coverage) offering an extensive network of providers.
- Vision Plan: Comprehensive vision coverage offering members eye exams and numerous discounts on other eye care products and services.
- Prescription Shopping Tool: A digital experience giving members the opportunity to shop around for the best prices on prescriptions.
- Virtual (Online) Medical Treatment: Choose from two virtual options to receive medical treatment from home or on the go.
- Paid Time-Off: Generous paid time off program to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
- Holiday Pay: Allowing time for you to enjoy the holidays with family and friends.
- Frequent Fitness Program: Provides eligible members a reimbursement for working out.
- On-Site Fitness Center: Open 24 hours a day.
- Healthy Pregnancy Program: Personal support for those planning a pregnancy and those who are pregnant. Provides participants with support they need and assurance they want.
- On-site Training: Opportunities to develop your skills and advance your career.
- Clean Manufacturing Environment: Employees in the cleanroom at SkyWater work in an environment that’s cleaner than a hospital surgical room.
- Competitive Total Compensation: Includes bonus potential for all full-time employees.
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan: Matching contributions from SkyWater Technology after qualification.
- Tuition Assistance: An investment by SkyWater into your future by offering financial support to pursue relevant continuing education.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: If you have out-of-pocket medical, dental, vision or dependent care expenses, you may decrease taxes and increase your spendable income by enrolling in one of our three Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance: At no cost to you.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Provides free access to tools and resources to help manage life’s stresses including financial planning assistance, childcare and/or elder care referrals, stress management and more.
- Optional Additional Insurance for Purchase such as: Voluntary Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Short Term Disability and Long-Term Disability, Group Legal Plan, Group Accident Insurance, Group Critical Illness Insurance.
- Service Awards: SkyWater recognizes our employees for their dedication to SkyWater through services awards including a bonus.
- Employee Recognition: Monthly MVP awards for employees who go above and beyond to drive company core values.
- On-site, Self-serve Market: Offering a variety of meals, snacks and beverages. Open 24 hours a day.
- On-site Fitness Center: Open 24 hours a day.
- Compressed Shifts Available: Allowing more time to enjoy your personal life.
- Employee Referral Program: Offering bonuses for referring friends and family for opportunities at SkyWater.
- Employee Appreciation Events: We love finding ways to recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of our SkyWater team.
- Location: Close to mass transit, Mall of America and MSP Airport.
- Company Store: SkyWater branded merchandise -- We are proud to show off our brand!
- Casual Dress Code: Performance is what matters -- dress appropriately for your role and be comfortable helping SkyWater succeed.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and in accordance with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we have implemented a number of safety precautions at our locations to protect employees. These precautions include, but are not limited to, social distancing requirements and proper hygiene protocols. In addition, we provide all of our employees regular COVID-19 updates and education.